Sonntag, 3. Mai 2015

Japan-Sunday: Matsuri

Hello again!

From now on I'll present something typically Japanese to you on every Japan-Sunday, let's start with Japan's traditional festivals: MATSURIs





There are several matsuris during the year, also many differnt kinds. Some of them are unique for the region they are held in, e.g. the Gion Matsuri of Kyoto in July, others are of the same kind and more regional. Mostly they are held to pray for things such as good harvest, luck and other purposes and for sure these festivals are done to please the Kami.



Almost every festival starts at a shrine with a certain ceremony to honor the Kami (Shinto God). After that normally a second "ceremony" starts, depending on the matsuri, carrying a Mikoshi (portable shrine with a Kami in it) is very often a part of it. Other parts can be Yabusame (horseback archery), during this part arrows are hallowed and then used in this archery to honor the Kami.


These festivals are events of the region / commune and very often Sake and beer is consumed to celebrate and also to honor the God, also music (e.g. on Taiko drums) or dances are common.




Even for me as Gaijin / Gaikokujin (Non-Japanese) it was possible to be part of one Matsuri in Nakano. To do so someone lent me his tradional festival robe and bandana and "packed" me. After being prepared I could join in carrying the Mikoshi around the Nakano station. I don't know how easy it is to be part of it in general, but I will find out, I promise.





That's all for Matsuris overall, sure the best way to understand a Japanese festival is to see or to be involved in a matsuri by yourself, but I hope I could help you to understand Japanese festivals a bit better.

See you again - Bye!!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen